Monday, October 26, 2009
I put in the front seats, quickly adjusted the clutch, started the engine, warmed it up for three minutes, and slowly backed it out of the driveway. At that moment I had to make the crucial decision … go downhill or uphill. I decided to go uphill as I could always coast down the hill if things did not work out.
I traveled 50 smooth yards, parked, and ran into a friend’s house to show him the idling car. Going uphill proved to be a correct decision as the engine conked out as I let it run.
I was glad my brakes worked as I sheepishly coasted it back to its parking place in the garage.
It looks like I have some things to figure out.
Saturday, October 24, 2009
To make things look a little better. I added 1/4 inch of dynaliner:
This made the engine compartment line up fairly well.
Monday, October 19, 2009
All my instruments are NOS and have brand new (not NOS) 6 volt bulbs. I could not make the high beam blue indicator light up so I could see it.
Then I remembered an old article (circa mid 1980's from the Ghia Report from Tim Dapper). I took off the old piece of blue tape he talked about and ABSOLUTELY that blue indicator light was bright as it could be....
One of the first things I noticed about my 1500 Karmann Ghia was that I couldn't tell whether my bright lights were on. During the day, the dashboard highbeam indicator light could not be seen at all. At night, if it was really dark and you looked carefully at the proper gauge with the dash lights turned off, your could see a dull blue glow.
So the next time I had the fuel gauge assembly out of the dashboard, I checked out the problem with the highbeam indicator light. By holding the assembly up to the sun, I could see that the blue lens was almost completely opaque. So I got out a small square ended file, with the intention of carefully scraping away some of the lens material in hopes that it would allow more light to pass through.
But when I started to scrape the lens, and amazing thing happened -- a layer of the lens flaked off and the lens seemed to fall apart. When I fished out the piece out of the housing , I found that it was not a layer of lens material at all, but was a piece of blue plastic tape. It seems that after twenty years, the tape adhesive had become brittle allowing the piece of tape to fall off.
Now when I held the housing up to the sun, a nice blue square appeared just like those for the red and green indicators. And now you can actually see the blue indicator light when you flash the brights on and off.
You can do this same thing in your Ghia also. To remove the fuel gage assembly, you must read up behind the dash and find two "thumb nuts" on the back of the gauge housing. By taking the nuts off, it is possible to remove the "U" shaped bracket which holds the assembly in place.
Once the bracket is out of the way, you can unplug the large plastic assembly from the back of the gauge unit, and withdraw the unit through the face of the dash. All of the various wires stay attached to the plastic assembly.
Upon removing the assembly, chances are that you will ruin the rubber gasket which goes between the unit bezel and the dash face and you will want to fix this.
Now all you have to do is fix the blue indicator lens and put the whole thing back together in the reverse order in which you removed it.
You are ready to hit those brights and watch the blue light shine!
Friday, October 16, 2009
provided this T34 spec sheet:
He also gave these dimensions of the mounting bracket indicated in the above diagram:
The radio looks great with all the NOS instruments and radio cover. It was struggle collecting all of the instruments. Have to thank Lee Hedges for finding the 6 volt early clock. That was by far the hardest to locate.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Reached a milestone today. The dual tone horns sound sweet. Much effort was spent trying to get them to work
The issues were:
- powder coating on the steering column which prevented proper grounding. Removed it with chemical stripping
- horn ring contact points coated with paint from Koch's steering wheel restoration
- cracked steering wheel gasket after the unit came back from Koch's. Koch's rectified the situation.
- used the wrong type of grease in the horn bearing. http://www.type34.org/article.