Saturday, July 24, 2010

First Real Drive in 26 Years

Checked the oil, tire pressure, and gas and took off through the sunny pine tree countryside of Lake Tahoe. I wasn't sure I was going to make it back without a tow or flatbed.

I had forgotten how well the T34 handles on tight turns. Tahoe has many highways with sharp corners and I was able to have some fun being aggressive with them.

After 20 minutes the car seemed to be begging to be put into the final 4th gear for the cruising it seems to be designed for. On one stretch of the highway I was able to do so. The vehicle seemed to give a sigh a satisfaction that it was back on the road as the RPMs dropped.

I made a mental checklist of things that need fixing. Among the items is some needed engine tuning. There wasn't much power going up steep hills but it was adequate on the more level roads.

After 40 miles I pulled into the garage and immediately re-torqued my lug nuts. I remembered Andy's accident where his wheel fell off and didn't want to repeat it.

What a fun day!

2 comments:

Scott said...

Congrats Paul! Looks great parked there by the lake.

Lee Hedges said...

What a phenomenal accomplishment, Paul! A hearty "well done" on 26 years of detailed restoration work. We're all extremely proud of you. Enjoy the mountains!